The Restaurant has some of the most staggeringly extravagant decor ever seen, a variety of the strangest guests from throughout history, and serves a particularly fine Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.
Milliways is run by an incredible arrangement of life forms from everywhen, and is the one place anywhen that serves a talking food. One of the restaurant's major attractions is that diners can watch the entire universe end around them as they eat. The terminal moment is followed by dessert.
- Milliways is built on the fragmented remains of an eventually ruined planet which is enclosed in a vast time bubble and projected forward in time to the precise moment of the End of the Universe. (Many would say this is impossible.)
- Inside, guests take their places at tables and eat sumptuous meals while watching the whole of creation explode around them. (Many would say this is equally impossible.)
- You can arrive for any sitting you like without prior reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were, when you return to your own time. (Many would insist this is absolutely impossible.)
- At the Restaurant you can meet and dine with a fascinating cross-section of the entire population of space and time. (This, it can be explained patiently, is also impossible.)
- You can visit it as many times as you like and be sure of never meeting yourself, because of the embarrassment this usually causes. (According to the doubters, this is patently impossible, even if the rest were true, which it is not.)
- All you have to do is deposit one penny in a savings account in your own era, and when you arrive at the End of Time the operation of compound interest means that the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for. (Many claim that this is not merely impossible, but clearly insane.)
This is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe."
- It was remarked by Trillian that Milliways has nice chandeliers.
- It is not unusual for customers to be a little disorientated by the time journey.
- The bar at Milliways is eighty foot long, topped with marble and fronted with the skins from twenty thousand Anterean Mozaic Lizards.
- The wine list is so big it comes in at least three volumes, as Zaphod Beeblebrox asks the waiter for the third.
Milliways appears in:
- Fit the fifth of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series.
- The fifth episode of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy television series.