- "I wonder if it will be friends with me"
- —The whale's attitude to the fast approaching ground[src]
The Magrathean sperm whale was a whale created from one of a pair of guided thermonuclear missiles several miles over the planet of Magrathea, after Arthur Dent initiated the use of the Infinite Improbability Drive. The probability of this occurring was 8,767,128 to 1 against. The whale has an existential life of discovery which lasts a minute before it hits the ground, leaving a large crater and whale remains.
The Magrathean sperm whale appeared in:
- Fit the third of the radio series.
- Chapter 18 of the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Episode 3 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy television series.
- The film The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The whale was voiced by:
- While the whale was falling in the television series, the song Whale Theme played, a composition by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.
- In Fallout 2, there is a special encounter with a carcass of a dead sperm whale and a broken bowl of flowers. This is a reference to the Magrathean sperm whale and the accompanying bowl of petunias.
Notes and referencesEdit
- Crashed whale on Fallout Wiki