After the initial narration, the episode opens with a recap of the cliffhanger with the Vogon captain demanding what Ford and Arthur thought of his poem. They attempt to flatter him to avoid execution, but he decides to throw them off the ship anyway. Whilst being escorted to the airlock, Ford attempts to persuade the Vogon guard to give up his job, but fails.
The pair are cast out into space. Against all odds, they are rescued after 29 seconds, by a starship. After some more improbable events they discover they have been picked up by the Starship Heart of Gold, which has been stolen by Ford's semi-cousin, and President of the Galaxy, Zaphod Beeblebrox. The Heart of Gold works on a basis of infinite improbability, allowing its drive to do anything for which the improbability factor is known.
Also on the Heart of Gold are Trillian (Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur met at a party in Islington, before she left the party (and the planet) to go with Zaphod Beeblebrox, and Marvin, a depressed android. The episode ends with a post-credit announcement from Eddie the Shipboard Computer that the ship is moving into orbit around the legendary planet of Magrathea.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- The Book and Narrator - Peter Jones
- Arthur Dent - Simon Jones
- Ford Prefect and Deep Thought - Geoffrey McGivern
- Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz (Vogon Captain) - Bill Wallis
- Vogon Guard and Eddie the Computer - David Tate
- Trillian - Susan Sheridan
- Zaphod Beeblebrox - Mark Wing-Davey
- Marvin the Paranoid Android and Gag Halfrunt - Stephen Moore
- Announcer (uncredited) - John Marsh
Music featured in the fit includes:
- "Wind on Water" from Evening Star by Fripp and Eno
- "A Rainbow in Curved Air" by Terry Riley
- "Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band" by Terry Riley
- "Cachuaca" by Patrick Moraz
- First appearance of Trillian Astra, Gag Halfrunt, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Marvin the Paranoid Android, and Eddie the Computer.
- First mention of Fenchurch. She isn't named yet, however.
- The post-credits line at the end of this episode was the first mention of Magrathea.
to be added