Episode 5 is the fifth episode in the television series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was first broadcast on BBC Two on 2 February 1981.
After an initial period of confusion, the four travellers find they have been transported forward in time to just before the end of the universe. They are in Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, which was built on the ruins of Magrathea. So, as Arthur says, they have travelled through time but not through space. Waiting for them is Marvin the depressed robot, who they left on Magrathea millions of years ago. He's now an attendant at the car park, and still depressed. Just before the universe ends, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Ford Prefect get Marvin to help them steal a supercool all-black spaceship, which turns out to be the property of a very loud rock band called Disaster Area. The episode ends on the cliff-hanger as the black ship is about to start a dive into the sun of Kakrafoon.
The cast for Episode 5:
- The Book: Peter Jones
- Arthur Dent: Simon Jones
- Ford Prefect: David Dixon
- Trillian: Sandra Dickinson
- Zaphod Beeblebrox: Mark Wing-Davey
- Garkbit (Head Waiter): Jack May
- Girl on stairs (uncredited): Mary Eveleigh
- Hotblack Desiato: Barry Frank Warren
- Bodyguard: Dave Prowse
- Max Quordlepleen: Colin Jeavons
- Dish of the Day: Peter Davison
- Marvin (costume): David Learner
- Marvin (voice): Stephen Moore
- The Great Prophet Zarquon: Colin Bennett
- Young Conservative: Adam Tandy
- Unlike the radio series and the book, Milliways is built on the ruins of Magrathea, rather than Frogstar World B, presumably to reduce the number of plot points.