Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Main Characters:|| The Book|
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
|Other Characters:|| Mr. Prosser|
Irritated man hitting radio
Man at end of bar
Vogon Construction fleet
|Written by:||Douglas Adams|
|Original Airdate:||5 January 1981|
|Following Episode:||Episode 2|
Episode 1 was the first episode of the TV series. It was broadcast on BBC Two on January 5, 1981.
Episode 1 begins with a pre-credits sequence, the only one of the TV episodes to have such. A countdown to the end of the world is displayed through animation, and the narrator begins telling the story of the Guide and Arthur Dent's connection to it as the sun rises over the English countryside for the final time. Arthur wakes, discovers the threat to his house from a yellow bulldozer by looking out the window, and the camera pulls back to the credits.
This episode closely follows the plot and dialogue of the first episode of the radio series, omitting the speech by Lady Cynthia Fitzmelton. It ends at a slightly earlier point than the radio episode, after Ford's line "he might want to read us some of his poetry first", and on a cliffhanger that Arthur and Ford are about to be discovered in a Vogon storeroom, but before the Vogon poetry is actually read.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- The Book and Narrator - Peter Jones
- Arthur Dent - Simon Jones
- Mr. Prosser - Joe Melia
- Ford Prefect - David Dixon
- Workman One (uncredited) - Terry Duran
- Workman Two (uncredited) - George Cornelius
- Alien (girl) - Cleo Rocos
- Alien (boy) - Andrew Mussell
- Man at end of bar (uncredited) - Douglas Adams
- Barman - Steve Conway
- Barfly (uncredited) - Steve Trainer
- Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz and Vogon Guard (uncredited for the latter) - Martin Benson
- Sandwich-board man (uncredited) - David Grahame
- Irritated man hitting radio (uncredited) - Bill Barnsley
to be added